Temporary Protective Order
PDF Print E-mail

Temporary Protective Orders (TPO)s

As a victim of family violence, you may qualify for a Temporary Protective Order (TPO).

A TPO is a civil order of protection.  It can order a batterer to have no contact with you and/or your children, make the batterer leave the home, and possibly pay child support.

To get a TPO, you must apply in the county where the abuser lives.

To obtain a TPO in Rockdale County, call 770-929-4023 and make an appointment, or come by the Rockdale County Courthouse, Room 205-C.

If you get a Temporary Protective Order . . .

  • You must go to the final hearing scheduled when you apply for the TPO.

  • Keep it with you at all times.  Take a copy to your child.s school and/or daycare center and to your place of employment.

  • The abuser cannot have any contact with you, including telephone, fax, e-mail, cards, letter, or flowers.

  • You cannot have any contact with the abuser unless ordered by a Superior Court Judge.

Only a Superior Court Judge can dismiss a TPO.

Call the police immediately if the abuser violates the TPO.  Show the police your copy of the TPO.  Violation of a TPO may be a criminal offense.